The 1.25lb Premium Velvicut® Hudson Bay Belt Hatchet is crafted out of our US 5160 knife steel with superior toughness and blade retention. The Hudson Bay pattern provides a lightweight head with a generous bit width. Combined with a Grade A Premium Select 14” hickory Handle, this Hudson Bay Belt Hatchet packs a ton of punch in one small package. The perfect companion for chores around the camp fire like splitting kindling and driving in wooden tent stakes. The swooped toe is also useful in carving and the size is perfect to carry on the belt or rucksack. This Velvicut® Hudson Bay Belt Hatchet comes with a bridle leather snap on mask. We also offer this tool with a full Bridle leather sheath, item #CT-JP20HBS14C.
Additional Details from Council Tool
The Hudson Bay pattern is believed to have originated in the Biscayan area of Northern Spain and was first used in North America as a trading piece along the fur trade routes. After it is drop forged, the axe head is rough ground in a state-of-the-art robotic work cell. Then the hand work begins: an experienced artisan sharpens the cutting edge using increasingly fine abrasives. Relative to other patterns, the Hudson Bay has a very short eye length. This reduces the contact area between the head and handle, which can lead to looseness. Using our new and innovative design, we pierce the eye with a special punch forming ribs horizontally and vertically inside the eye. This creates more contact area and bite between the head to handle joint. The result? A stronger and more durable tool.
- A sharp axe is a safe axe as it is less likely to glance out of the cut. Be assured that this axe has been sharpened by our skilled craftsmen and is ready to use.
- All components are MADE IN USA.
- Head will last a lifetime, Council Tool guarantees it.
- Forged from 5160 grade alloy steel. The “Council” makers mark is displayed on one side of the head, and the other is proudly marked “USA”.
- Bit is heat treated and quenched approximately 1″ inch from the cutting edge, then tempered for maximum edge holding and toughness. Final hardness Rc 52-56.
- Handle is made of grade “A” American hickory and its traditional pattern embodies the heirloom quality of axes from times gone by.
- Forged axe head is hung in a traditional manner using a softwood wedge along with a steel wedge for added security.
- Axe head is coated with light oil to prevent rusting and to showcase the exceptional Council Tool craftsmanship. A Linseed oil coating is applied to protect the handle.
- Premium leather mask protects the tool and user with the Council Tool embossed logo. Like its companion axe, the sheath is MADE IN USA.